Friday, August 12, 2016

David Alvarez, Entry #5: Week 7, El Gran Final

That's a wrap! It's hard to believe that 7 weeks have already flown by and my time in the Wireless and Mobile Networking Lab is over. It didn't really hit me until I sat down to write this after I had lunch that this really was it. It's definitely a bittersweet feeling to be leaving today. Part of me is going to miss coming in every day and seeing everyone here, as well as continuously learning more about computer networking, a field which I knew nothing about but now am so fascinated with. Another part of me is feeling so glad that I emailed this lab, by some miracle survived the 7 weeks here, and am now accomplished in completing my work here.

My last week here was actually one of the slowest. The direction in which to take the WebRTC experiments was a little unclear, but we figured that it would be better to just re-run the scenarios that we'd already gone through, but with one wired machine in order to have a more stable set of results to look at. Rodda and I went through the usual routine of running the experiments while taking .pcap traces on Wireshark, uploading all of the traces onto one machine, and generating .xml files to parse through in order to generate graphs for data rate, throughput, packet size, time delta, and CDF for all three machines. We've begun to see some interesting results on the receiver side when we add traffic to the channel, which I both love and hate because I like that progress is being made on the project, but hate that it's being made just as I'm leaving. I wish them the best as this project rolls along.

My experience here has been absolutely incredible. When I came in 7 weeks ago, I was really nervous because this wan't a field that I knew a lot about, and I knew that this was a small lab, so every person here would have a certain expectation of them. However, the guys have been extremely helpful and I now feel very good about the work I've done and the things I've learned. It's been more than just learning about computer networking; it's also been about learning how to commute, how to get around New York City, and getting a good feel about what life in the city is really like. It's an experience that I'm so grateful to have had, and will carry with me in all of my future endeavors in science.

I'd like to thank Dr. Peretz and Dr. Venanzi for helping me through every step along the way through EXP. I'd also like to thank Varun, the PhD student who guided me through my time here and made sure I didn't crash and burn. Also, a quick nod to Rodda, the other high school student here who knew way more about networking than I did and who was a great partner to have, and friend I hope to keep in touch with for a long time. To everyone who hasn't finished yet, good luck and have fun! And to everyone else, until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment