Sunday, August 7, 2016

Megan Gabruk, Entry #9, Approaching My Last Week

As I approach my last week, I am thinking about all I have learned through this amazing experience. From experimental design coding to writing letter of inquiries to reference management and many other tasks, I really appreciate this opportunity. On Monday, I read over two peer review articles. A new high school student came to the lab, and I told her about what I had been working on. She has not really been at the lab too much, so I still have to work alone much of the time. However, I now go out to lunch with the project coordinator some days. She is very smart and nice, so it is really great to be able to talk to her about her goals and get advice about my future.
            On Tuesday, I read over two more peer review articles. I also figured out how to read the output files for E-Prime. I had identified a problem on the morphing task that was shared with us, so I had to look at the output files to make sure they actually made a mistake. There was a column in E-Prime that was supposed to be sad faces, but showed happy faces instead. So, I fixed the problem, and we let the group that shared the morphing faces task know about the error.
On Wednesday, I went over the E-Prime output files with Kate and confirmed that there no problem with the version of task that I had fixed. To do this, I ran through the task and made sure I identified all of the images correctly and that the output files matched this which they did, so the task was coded correctly. Also, I put up flyers at some child care centers and other places where new mothers would be in the area. At Kate’s RA meeting, we talked about peer reviewing articles and went over the ones I read. Next week, at Kate’s RA meeting, I will be presenting on Mendeley, the reference management program I have been working with this summer.
On Thursday, I finished filling out the Horvath clock spreadsheet with all of the literature I had identified. Also, I attempted to identify new stimuli for the dot probe task, so that we can use different baby images for the dot probe task and the morphing faces task. Luckily, only eight of the twenty two babies in the dot probe task overlap with the morphing task, so we can still use the current stimuli we have. However, I am still looking for other stimuli sources.
On Friday, I worked on finding a way to put our two tasks on Mechanical Turk which is a program that pays people a little amount of money to do the task, so we can get a lot of data. However, E-Prime files cannot be used on computer that do not have E-Prime, so I am looking into computer programs that allows our tasks to be shared with others once coded.

Outside of the lab, I hiked The Dish. Also, I attended a dinner at Kate’s house on Friday night which was a really great experience and nice to get to know everyone better.

No comments:

Post a Comment