Friday, June 10, 2016

John Bokman, Entry 1, The first week



Coming into the Gabrieli Lab I didn't have much of an idea of what specific project I would be working on, but I had done most of my research on dyslexia. The first day I walked in, Dr. Gabrieli handed me a stack of his latest research and asked me to read it and catch up.  After reading it, he talked to me about my interest in dyslexia and it turns out that he is just finishing a 5 year study on exactly the type of research I wrote about. For the rest of the week I have been reviewing and editing code to convert scores and correcting data files. I am also helping perform some research with the hope of explaining some unusual and unexplained results that may either be a mistake in the testing or an exciting discovery. So far I have only met one undergrad and one grad student, but my lab is huge and the people are spread all over. I hope to meet more people in my lab over the next couple weeks.

Living in an apartment has been very different. I am still getting used to the idea of having neighbors and other people all around me. I really like that everything is so close, but making my own food has been a challenge. I really look forward to the rest of my time here and hope I can help finish this project.

No comments:

Post a Comment