Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Nicholas Massenburg, Entry #2, Non Stop Quantification


Things have picked up a lot since last week.

My Post Doc Dan's health has finally picked up considerably, and he has been able to mentor me much more efficiently. He was able to explain the significance of our project to me in deeper detail, and I am very excited about where our results might take us in the field of Biology and Medicine. Dan and Cagla, the second in command at our lab, have made considerable gains in their research using Cinnabarinic Acid as a protective agent against HIV induced neurodegeneration, and from those gains, I have been tasked with quantifying the data received to see what it's significance is. I have also been tasked with a series of RNA extraction jobs (something many research scientists never approach because of its difficulty and the sensitivity of results) and PCR of DNA extract to amplify it for further results. These have involved the STC-2 gene I mentioned in my last entry, which we hypothesize increases in expression in times of cell stress due to the increased presence of Cinnabarinic Acid (also as a result of cell stress). In other words, we believe the amount of STC-2 gene expression that occurs, the protein product of which we have observed increases cellular protection, is dependent on the presence of Cinnabarinic Acid.

I, specifically, have been using cell imaging computer programs to create Macro templates from cell culture images, images which include astrocytes, specifically the presence of the GFAP proteins characteristic of astrocytes which are stained in red, MAP2 which is stained green to identify whole neurons, and Dapi, which is stained blue to identify nuclei. In deducing the quality of the image, large blotches of red indicate Astrocytosis, a prcocess that occurs in response to high levels of cell stress to induce combative mechanisms. The presence of these large red blotches in imaging may indicate a culture that has been exposed to toxic agents during experimentation. Other indicators of toxic exposure include large patches of blue dots not coalesced with surrounding green. This indicates death of the cell due, leaving behind only remnants of the nucleus and other undetected organelles.

Displaying IMG_5049.JPG
Displaying IMG_5049.JPG
Displaying IMG_5049.JPG


My lab bench, where I do most of my bio technical work everyday. The computer for imaging is on the other side.


Using all of that complicated information, we hope to create a feasible track for the future of the project to developing a potential medication using STC-2 or Cinnabarinic Acid, which would be tested on animal subjects before moving to trials in human HIV-associated neurocognitive disorder patients in the next 5 years to a decade. Though I will have long left the lab by then, I am really excited that I will have been able to push such an important project in the right direction.

My lab is also very social, and I have made a lot of great friends, especially with the undergraduate students who are doing similar work. We often times go out to lunch as a lab, and have made it a tradition to pick a neat restaurant in the area and treat ourselves on Fridays. We've also planned a lot of other cool bonding activities like Karaoke and bowling int he next few weeks. I did not expect to come to the lab and develop friendships, but I now realize this will become a very important part of my summer experience. Because everyone remains focused together on the same goal of eradicating the existence of HAND, and potentially HIV, when it is time for us to have fun, we are always ready to socialize and remain a tight knit community.

Another great part of the lab experience has been our hour to two hour lab meetings every Thursday evening from 3-5. Here, I am able to listen to practiced and renowned Pathologist and Neuroscientists who do not work in my lab discuss their expertise. This is also the place where I have been able to show off some of my own Biology chops, however rudimentary in comparison. My associates have been very helpful in giving me a better understanding of the other areas of research that are presented. I have often times found myself giving people feedback on their presentations, constructive or otherwise, which I hope has been helpful. I plan to give a lecture of my own in a few weeks on my work with CA and STC-2, which will be presented before the chair of the Pathology Department (My PI) and the chair of the Neuroscience department.

Things continue to be great for me, and I cannot wait to see what the rest of the summer has in store.
Displaying IMG_5049.JPG

No comments:

Post a Comment