Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Joe Yuan @ The Mason Lab: Post #1: Jumping In




It has been a crazy/amazing 3 days at the Mason Lab.

I jumped into the city of Philadelphia last weekend, dragging my bulging suitcases through Wallnut street to my new apartment on the 36th. Now that was an experience. Anyways, I was more than excited to start at the Mason lab of PennVet, and after two terms of preparing myself I was ready to immerse myself into the world of canine cancer immunology. 

The Hill Pavilion, where I will be spending 7 weeks working with the Mason lab. 
The first day I started off by chatting with the wonder Dr. Mason about the projects I will be working on. I was already introduced to the idea of PD-1 T-cell inhibition beforehand, and Dr. Mason laid out the details of her exciting research on an antibody that could resolve issues with PD-1 in canine cancer immunotherapy. After the brief overview, I was thrown right into the action. Over the first three days, I had participated in planning a protein filtration column, growing bacteria cultures, and testing antibody characteristics. The pace at the Mason lab has been a surprise, as there's a lot of things to do on several different projects all at the same time. I'm enjoying every second in the lab, as I am surrounded by an incredible amount of knowledge and talent. I can't wait to show more of my experience in the coming weeks, but the first few day has been busy, and fantastic.

Enjoy the shenanigans.
Joe Yuan


"Mason, Nicola Mason." (Yes, she's British.)
The lab space, general science-ing & lab explosions occur here.
The hood, where T-cells go to die. ~ "There's always tomorrow to correct the things you ruined today! (Assuming we can resurrect the dog)" ~ written on the glass. 



When our resident/ninja Martha asked random people at the hospital what a B-cell and Helper T-cell interaction would look like.



2 comments:

  1. I might start asking the AP Bio students to draw their version of what B and Helper-T cell interactions look like! Glad it's been a fun start - sounds like you will not get bored!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that would be a good idea. That drawing was actually by a resident at the vet school, shows how specializing really makes you forget. I will definitely not get bored, there's a grant due at the end of June, and I have 2 weeks to run 5 different experiments. Will report back at the end of this week if I am still alive. :)

      Delete