Sunday, June 26, 2016

Megan Gabruk, Entry #3, Third Week - Getting Even Better

This week was very fun inside and outside of the lab. Inside of the lab, I learned even more such as how to write a good CV. That was really helpful because it allowed me to organize what I have accomplished so far during my high school career. Also, I learned how to make a Facebook ad. It was more complicated than I expected, but I managed to understand how to create the ad. Along with that, one of the full-time RA’s taught the other high school student and me how to upload the data from the LENA device. The device records everything the mother says to its baby in order for the lab to be able to analyze every factor that is part of the study. My work continues to be focused on recruiting participants, finding funding opportunities, and finding references for a book chapter my postdoc is working on.
I continue to make more friends in the lab. It is very nice to have another high school student in the lab, so we can help each other with any problems that we encounter. We go out to lunch every day at the business school with another RA who is in college. At the business school cafeteria, we seem to be the only people in high school there. The RA in college is very kind and gives good advice on college. She goes to the University Chicago and gave me her honest opinion about the different aspects of the school.
President Obama was at Stanford later in the week. Unfortunately, the closest I came to seeing him was passing by the building he was talking in.
Outside of the lab, I have had a lot of fun also. Last weekend I went with my aunt who was visiting me to San Francisco and Pebble Beach where saw the 18th hole. It was pretty cool even though I don’t play golf.

18th hole at Pebble Beach

This weekend I met up with two friends, Gwyneth and Aditi in San Francisco. It was really nice to see some familiar faces. I felt very independent when riding the train in by myself. Once I figured out the schedule, it went pretty smoothly from there.


The Golden Gate Bridge

No comments:

Post a Comment