Monday, June 27, 2016

Danny Kim, Entry #2, Third Week and MATLAB

Hellos fellow Peddie EXP students,

My third week in the lab went rather quickly, and I started to feel more comfortable working in the lab. On Monday, Mrs. Terhaar visited my lab, and I had to abandon her for over an hour because of the lab meeting in the morning. I got a little shout out from my research coordinator for finishing the data entry for the Dup15q syndrome in the national database.

Until then, I really did not have a substantial project that I was working on. Luckily, Mrs. Terhaar came in clutch because we had a meeting with my research coordinator, Scott and my PI, Dr. Jeste. I decided to work on eye tracking, which is a process to measure eye positions and movements, for the diagnosis of autism. This would require me to learn MATLAB, which is an essential program in many areas, so I'm killing two birds with one stone (yay!).

Starting from Tuesday, I was working with Carly, a college student who was also working in the lab, to learn MATLAB. We had this handy book that instructed us through different methods. And currently, I am working my ways through the program to master it.

I had a day off on Friday because my research coordinator had to go to a conference out of town, so I had a chance to rest a bit and catch up with my parents. All the members in the LA squad had a chance to go to the Venice beach together and enjoy the summer vibe.

I can't believe the third week is already gone, and we met the midpoint of our lab experience. I realize how fast this is going and should value every second more. Have fun guys :).

1 comment:

  1. Danny, last summer Arnob used MatLab for a test he wrote - I can't remember if it tracked eye or hand but if you get stuck he might also be a good resource. Glad you are doing well!

    ReplyDelete