Thursday, July 7, 2016

Alex Larson, Entry #3, Moving Along

On my first day in the lab, a couple weeks ago, Adam had leave early to go to the airport, and I ended up loosely following two other grad students in the lab that day, Alan and Tim. Well Tim had the pleasure of taking me out to lunch that day, and I thought we would go to restaurant. Instead, there was a truck outside the Stern School of business called Sidewalk Tacos that sold Mexican food. Well we got our food and walked to Washington Square Park and ate our lunch while watching some student performers. Well now, with or without Adam, Alan, or Tim, I will usually bring whatever lunch I have, Tacos and the like, to the park to eat. The reason I tell you guys this anecdote is because I actually found this funny myself; I remember when Arnob gave his powerpoint presentation during one of those Wednesday lunches he talked about how he ate at some taco truck everyday. I remember finding that pretty funny because of all the other food options in New York; Well turns out Arnob was onto something because Sidewalk Tacos and the Halal guys on the street make quick, cheap, and good food. Just a fun story I thought I’d share.     

I had my first lab meeting on Tuesday of this week (6-28) and though I thought I was going to get a minute or two to talk about the results of the buffer experiment I had performed for my first week and a half in my lab, low and behold, we ran out of time for the meeting. Anyways, now Adam and I have just set about creating primers for PCR of the human 45S rRNA gene (check my last post for why the 45S gene is relevant), for our DASH project. So basically Adam helped me find the FASTA (the bare bones DNA sequence on ncbi) for the 45S gene. From there we isolated the actual coding portion of those sequences, the 18S, 5.8S, and 28S, genes. Once we had located those genes within the whole 45S gene we used an online tool called ‘Benchling’ that develops primers based off of a certain set of parameters. In short, Benchling looks for regions of DNA flanking the sequences we are looking to run PCR on that have a GC content between 40-60%, are unique across all genomic DNA, and are not ‘symmetrical’ meaning that they cannot bind with themselves (primer dimers). So after modifying the parameters to specifically fit what we want, we developed some 10 different primer pairs that we ordered. Since both the project as a whole and ordering primers is expensive, Adam had to talk to the PI to see if there’s any type of grant money that is available to help us out before we ordered. So last Friday(7-1) Adam informed me that there was enough grant money for the primers and that the order has been placed. So until they arrive sometime next week, most likely Thursday(7-7), Adam has given me some tips about how to better use my computer through Windows Powershell. Basically, Powershell lets you navigate your computer without ever needing a mouse. The only complication is that it is very confusing and I don’t really know how to do much more than access text files and move between folders. Also waiting for these primers to arrive has given me substantial time to write this blog in the lab! 
 Using Benchling to Design Primers
Learning how to use Windows PowerShell

No comments:

Post a Comment