Saturday, July 30, 2016

Megan Gabruk, Entry #8, A Wonderful Week Besides My First Goodbye

This past week has been wonderful along with all of the others. On Monday, I attended my weekly meeting for the BABIES project. Recruitment had been a little slow over the weekend, so the other high school student and I emailed the mothers’ groups again. Many of the participants are too young to be part of the study yet since they need to be six months, but the project coordinator did schedule many more participants for August, when they would be old enough.
            On Tuesday, Kate and I went over some statistics for different variables for her chapter on the Bucharest Early Intervention Project. I also went to the weekly RA meeting in which one of the postdocs presented on clinical assessments. We did an activity in which one person acted as the assessor and the other acted as the participant. The participant had to draw a path from number to number, counting up.
            On Wednesday, I finished working on the two E-Prime tasks. One is a dot probe task and the other is a morphing faces task. Both are most likely going to be added to the BABIES study in one of the sessions. I also attended Kate’s weekly RA meeting. We shared our highs and lows as well as talked about possible career options. The two best routes seemed to be a Ph.D. in clinical psychology and an M.D. possibly in psychiatry. With a Ph.D. in clinical psychology, people can be a clinical psychologist or a researcher, which both are interesting paths. Kate also suggested quantitative psychology because there are many job openings in that field.

            On Thursday, I worked on the Horvath clock project and put up more flyers. On Friday, I tested out the E-Prime tasks on the laptop the mothers in the BABIES study will be using, and it worked successfully. I also went out to lunch with the project coordinator and the other high school student. The project coordinator graduated from Stanford with a major award and is currently applying to medical schools. She is very nice and gives great advice. The other high school student’s last day was on Friday which was very sad because we had become good friends over the summer. Outside of the lab, I have been exploring Stanford’s campus even more and went up to the top of Hoover tower which has a great view of the campus.

No comments:

Post a Comment