Saturday, July 16, 2016

Megan Gabruk, Entry #6, Another Great Week

            My experience in the lab continues to be great. On Monday, I had my weekly meeting with Kate. Since I finished a lot of my projects, I got even more which was nice because they were different from what I had been doing. They include identifying literature sources and coding for experimental design. Also, I continue to work on recruitment for the BABIES study. In order to do this, the other high school student and I came up with a plan for places to contact, put up flyers, and hand out brochures. We emailed many mother groups in the Bay Area as well. Along with recruitment, I also continue to identify potential funding sources. For two of the potential grants, I helped fill out the application and drafted the scientific summary/essay for them.
            On Tuesday, one of the faculty members in the lab presented on her work about suicide ideation. It was an intense topic, but the information presented continued to demonstrate how important the work in our lab is. On Wednesday, we went over how to use a statistics program which is really important knowledge. Also, before the meeting, the other high school student and I had to go pay for a participant’s parking, so they gave us a roll of quarters. When we got there, we were one quarter short, so we started looking around on the ground for quarters. Then, this really nice child came up to us and gave us a quarter, so that made our day.
            On Thursday, we had our weekly lab meeting and continued to discuss the Google project. This time, we had someone involved with the project come and talk to us about our ideas and what Google wanted from the project. That was really helpful and made us more directed in our approach.

On Friday, we had a lab happy hour to say goodbye to two full time members of the lab at a restaurant in downtown Palo Alto. Kate was very nice and invited the other high school student and me, but the other high student had to leave catch a flight. So, for the majority of the time, I was the only summer RA there/only one who had not graduated college. I sat near Kate and three other Ph.D. students who were all very nice people. They were interested in what I had to say which made the experience even better. It was really fun and great to get to know more of the members of the lab. Outside of the lab, I continue to explore the Stanford campus and Palo Alto.

No comments:

Post a Comment