Monday, July 4, 2016

Megan Gabruk, Entry #4, 4th Week and 4th of July

These past four weeks have been great. I have learned so much about the field of psychology and research in general. Everyone in the lab has taught me a lot and has contributed to my experience being enjoyable. My most enjoyable moments are when I am successful and do something to help the lab. For example, Kate emailed me one night that she needed my help changing the authors from saying (et. al) after five authors to listing all of the authors out for their grant proposal that was due very soon. There was a quick way to change the authors with Mendeley which was needed because there were over 150 references that could not easily be done by hand all in one night. She said her web browser kept crashing when she tried to change them with Mendeley. So, I figured out a way to work around the issue and was successful.
            This week, I finished one of my big Mendeley projects I which I had to find references for the neglect chapter Kate is writing. Also, I ordered the Facebook ad finally which was pretty complicated, posted on Craigslist, and handed out brochures at different locations including the Stanford Children’s Hospital and nursery center.
            At the weekly meeting with Kate’s RAs, we went over each of our CVs individually. Kate’s and the other RAs’ comments were very helpful in improving my CV. It is nice to know that I now have a CV ready if anyone ever asks for it, and it also helped me organize my thoughts for college applications.
            At the weekly lab meeting, we discussed an opportunity Google has presented us with. We are trying to design a big scale project that could improve the field of mental health significantly like Google Maps improves the way people get places. It was interesting to hear what all of the senior people in the lab had to say about each other’s ideas and the questions they posed.

            This past weekend, I went to San Francisco again, San Jose, and Berkeley. In San Jose, I went to the Winchester Mystery House which has unique qualities such as staircases that lead to nowhere and doors that open into walls. I got off for the Fourth of July, so it was an extra-long weekend to explore California and finish my summer reading books.

Winchester Mystery House

No comments:

Post a Comment