Saturday, July 9, 2016

Danny Kim, Entry #3: Week 4

This week has been busy as usual. I worked on learning MATLAB while still helping out with data entry and other random works like cleaning the testing room. It was actually harder than I expected, as I had to clean every single toy and book in the room. I also had to build a table; you get the point. I did a lot of chores. For data entry, I helped with entering TSC data into the national database, which was a similar work to what I previously had done with  Dup15q syndrome. In fact, Tuberous Sclerosis is another disorder that our lab used as a biomarker to diagnose autism because of its high prevalence in children with autism spectrum disorder.

With MATLAB, I've worked with the college student Carly and also studied alone with a guide book and some videos to guide me through. I got through eight chapters, and now I feel like I know something about this program. But because I only know basic procedures and functions, I was rather worried about using MATLAB for my project with the eye tracking. However, my research coordinator, Scott told me not to worry as I would need to only use certain procedures, and I would get used to what I need to know. Other than that, I just spent a normal week, continuing work from previous weeks. The college student who I am supposed to work with for the eye tracking project is still in France and will come next week, so I couldn't really make any progress into it. I just read some paper about it.

As for things outside of the lab, we had a dinner with Oliver's dad's friend who lived near our place. On Fourth of July, we watched some amazing fireworks at the beach and had some amazing donuts that Oliver found using Yelp Reviews. Time is passing through more quickly than I expected. I am sort of worried about having only two weeks to jump on my project but I am ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment