Friday, July 15, 2016

David Alvarez Entry #2: Weeks 2-3

Things have definitely picked up in the last two weeks. The biggest development to occur was definitely the changing of my project. I was switched from Adaptive Multicast Services to an analysis of WebRTC-based Video Communication, where I've been able to fully dedicate my time to the experiments that Varun has been asking me to do. The project does not involve as much hard-core coding as AMuSe did, but there was still a lot that I had to learn. For example, in this new round of experiments that we are doing, I had to learn how to use this software called Wireshark, which captures TCP and UDP packets being transmitted between two machines. Also, I've had to learn how to use the Linux shell on the Ubuntu computers in the lab, which has allowed me to gain a deeper appreciation for how much better Linux machines are for development than the Windows one that I have been using since I started to learn how to code. The experiments are still in very preliminary stages, and we've just been testing different scenarios and plotting the data that we've gotten both from Wireshark and a separate website designed by one of the other people working on the WebRTC project.

Server being run from one of the Ubuntu machines during an experiment where we sent UDP packets across the LinkSys router.

The commute has gotten significantly easier. I've found a better use of my time on the train than Candy Crush, both in my school work and reading for pleasure, something I normally really enjoy but can't do because of school. A lot of the stereotypes of New Yorkers have proven to be false, and I've come enjoy the vibe of the city a lot. People here are actually pretty helpful and friendly for the most part, unless you cut in front of them in the bagel line. I've gotten to visit a couple of places in the city, my favorite being the Forbidden Planet, a comic shop in Union Square I'd been meaning to see for a long time. Also, I got to have lunch last week with Will, Sharanya, Masa, and Dr. Peretz and it was nice to catch up with everyone and see what they were doing. 

CESPR, the building I work in every day.

Overall, I am really starting to appreciate more and more the work being done in my lab. The first few days were very intimidating, but even when I don't fully understand something after having it explained, the people here have been very understanding and helpful. Another high school student, Rodda, joined us last week and he's had a lot more experience with networking than me and has helped a lot with the recent round of experiments. Yesterday, we went out to dinner as a good-bye to Bohan, a graduate student from Duke who was here for the first half of the summer, and who will be working with Deutsche Bank in London until classes start for him. I'm looking forward to Dr. Venanzi's visit on Monday, and to my remaining 4 weeks here! It's so hard to believe that I'm already pretty much halfway through my time here.


No comments:

Post a Comment